Named after a renowned philosopher- thinker, poet, sage and yogi, Vemana, Yogi Vemana University, established in the year 2006, by an Act of A.P state legislature is a blessing and boon for the students and researchers of the backward Rayalseema region in general and Y.S. R district in particular. The erstwhile Sri Venkateswara University Post Graduate Centre was elevated to a University with a humble and noble intention of providing a more conducive environment to impart value-based education and promote quality research and service. The university is committed to nurture and uphold healthy academic standards which contribute to the social, intellectual and moral development.
The university is situated about 15 kms away from the historic Kadapa City on the Kadapa –Pulivendula road amidst serene surroundings and has a sprawling campus of about 700 acres. With a humble beginning, the university made rapid strides towards overall development and has sufficient infrastructural facilities such as buildings with academic ambience, library, modern science and research laboratories equipped with sophisticated instruments, Super Computer facility, Agri-Science Park, spacious hostels, gym, daycare centre, Botanical Garden and a vast playground. Besides, a a building complex was added for the purpose of conducting training short term vocational and job oriented courses on a continuous basis. At present the university has on its rolls 115 faculty members and about 200 non-teaching staff. The young faculty has rich research experience in India and abroad besides teaching. Presently about 1800 students are pursuing postgraduate and research programmes. Majority of the science faculty have obtained research projects from central funding agencies such as DST/ CSIR/DBT/MNRE / ISRO/UGC/MoES /BRNS /APCOST and considerable number of projects are under progress. The university was accorded 2 (f) recognition in 2007 and 12 (B) status in 2011 by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi. Presently it is an affiliating university with about 100 Post graduate, degree, law, B.Ed, MCA ,MBA and Physical Education colleges under its jurisdiction. In the recent past, the university initiated steps to launch women’s cell, equal opportunities cell, a Day Care Center and coaching programmes for SC/ST/OBC/minority students preparing for competitive examinations. The C.P Brown Library, now elevated to the status of a languages Research Center of the university, located in Kadapa town, has rare books, ancient documents and monographs and efforts are made to preserve and protect ancient literature.
In tune with the contemporary societal, scientific and technological needs the university with 27 departments is offering conventional and inter-disciplinary courses in basic and applied sciences, humanities, social sciences and management. The university launched two five year M.Sc integrated courses, namely Earth Sciences and Biotechnology & Bio-Informatics in 2007. The University also started research programmes leading to PhD in the year 2010 and currently about 170 research scholars are pursuing research in 27 different Departments.. To give a fillip to engineering education, the university in the year 2008 started YSR Engineering College in Proddutur, a major town in Y.S.R district and an industrial hub . Currently it is offering graduate courses in Engineering disciplines of Civil, Mechanical, Electrical & Electronics, Electronics & Communication, Computer Science and Metallurgy & Materials Technology, and about 850 students are on the rolls. The university will be holding its very FIRST CONVOCATION on 5th November 2012, About 1000 PG students will be receiving their degrees and 30 among them will be receiving GOLD MEDALS sponsored by Donors.