- To deveop trained manpower in the areas of Genetic Engineering, Molecular Genetics, Microbial & Industrial Biotechnology, Plant Biotechnology and Animal Biotechnology
- To carry out prime research in the different areas of Plant Biotechnology and Functional Genomics, stress biology with emphasis on drought tolerance in crop plants, cereals and small millets with regional relevance.
- Bioprospecting and Bioassay of medicinal plants, Bio-pesticides, Bio-fertilizers, and Bio-fuels
- To impart training to graduate teachers in modern techniques of Biotechnology and to conduct extension Programmes for farmers, to develop awareness on modern agriculture methods and practises.
The Department of Biotechnology is involved in active research mainly in frontier areas of Functional Genomics, Molecular Genetics and Plant Molecular biology. Work is in progress, for dissecting the genetically controlled and very important complex trait of drought tolerance, Root architecture using different Bioinformatics, Functional Genomic and Molecular Genetics approaches. Our Department is also engaged in developing different transgenic approaches to improve photosynthesis under Abiotic stress conditions in agronomically important crops with regional relevance.
Apart from the active research in understanding drought tolerance trait and improving Abiotic stress tolerance capacity of agronomically important crops, our Department has collaboration with Intra Schools and inter departmental, mainly working on identification and formulating the active components in some important local flora with medicinal value in long go. Discussions are in progress with other Departments, Schools of Life Sciences in other Universities and Institutions to collaborate in various aspects in areas of Molecular Biology, Genetic Engineering and Molecular Medicine.
Equipment : Electrophoresis Units, Double Beam Spectrophotometer, High end configuration computers with internet access, Cooling centrifuges, High speed centrifuge, Gel documentation system, Transilluminator, Double distillation plants, pH meters, Autoclave, Incubators shaker, Freezers, Microscopes, Laminar airflow, PCR machines in central lab, etc.,
Library: Excellent Foreign Editions in the field of Genetic Engineering, Molecular and Cell Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Genetics, Immunology, Computational Biology and Recombinant DNA Technology etc., are available to the Departmental students. (Maintained in the University Library)
Transgenic Glass House Facility – for growing transgenic plants that will be developed in the Department by various research activities.
Net House Facility – for growing and maintaining common crop plants like cereals, millets and pulses.
Common Botanical Garden Facility – for collection and maintenance of useful germplasm for various crops and other plant species that have invaluable utility in the area of Plant Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering programs.
|Dr. P.Chandramati Shankar||Associate Professor|
|Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar||Assistant professor & Co-ordinator|
|Dr. T. Krishna Veni||Assistant professor|
- Dr. T. Krishnaveni is a postdoctoral fellow in association with Dr. Eleftheria Myloankis, Division of Infectious Diseases, Massachusetts, Boston from 2010 - 2011.
- Students selected by Indian Academy of Sciences(B’galore) for Summer fellowship at Central University Hyderabad and at CCMB, Hyderabad for the year 2011.
- INSPIRE FELLOWSHIP(H. Fathima Nazneen) – for the year 2010 - 2011
- Poster presentation at National Seminar on Applications of Microbes in Management of Agriculture and Environment (N.Rajesh, S.Subbarayudu, K.Venugopal and P.Prashant Reddy) organized by Department of Microbiology, Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur
- Students cleared GATE for year 2009 – 2010 and 2010 - 2011
- Students (Mr P.Ramesh and M. Bramhaiah) selected by BIOTECH CONSORTIUM INDIA LIMITED for Biotech Industrial Training program 2010-11 (sponsored by Department of Biotechnology,Government of India) trained at SHANTA BIOTECH,Hyderabad, S4 BIO,Hyderabad. For the year 2009 – 2010.
- Faculty presented lectures as resource persons for orientation course for Junior college Lecturers 2010.
- Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar has One National MoU with Centromere Biosolutions Pvt Ltd of 501, Subhan Sirisampada, Rajbhavan Road, Somajiguda, Hyderabad, - 500 082, A.P., India here and after referred as CENBIOS which includes its affiliate company Vibha Agrotech Ltd (VAL) to collaborate in the areas of Plant Molecular Genetics and Functional Genomics
- Dr. A. Chandra Sekhar has a active Research collaboration with Advanced Centre for Biotechnological Research, University of Agricultural Sciences, Gandhi Krishi Vignana Kendra (GKVK), Bangalore to work joinly
Mr. D. L. Venkataswamy Reddy, memorial Gold Medal for overall topper in M. Sc., Biotechnology
Mr. D. L.Venkataswamy Reddy Gold Medal to Miss. H. Fathima Nazneen For the Year 2007 - 2009
Mr. D. L.Venkataswamy Reddy Gold Medal to Mr. C. Nagendra For the Year 2008 - 2010
Mr. D. L.Venkataswamy Reddy Gold Medal to Miss. Y. Hima Bindu For the Year 2009 - 2011